Sunday, March 24, 2013

Web 2.0 new technologies

Dig Deeper into the Mainstays The site that I chose to dig into is Pinterest. Pinterest is a Web site that people can add images of things that interest them. Included are a description and a comment under the picture. Pinterest was under the category of Curation. I didn’t know what Curation was and I looked it up. Curation is a social-media Web site that people gather collections of things that interest them and they share them. I’ve heard these sites referred to as “inspiration boards” or “mood boards”. While researching I found Rockzi and Tumblr. Rockzi is so interesting. I looked at the recipe category and spotted several recipes that sounded awesome. I also found a website that had a web-based application for spreadsheets. The software was “Smartsheet”. This software had many innovative applications for interactive spreadsheets. The software included interactive links to files, built-in discussion threads & comments, file sharing/limiting users and build-in calendars. I shared the details of the website with my husband who is an accountant and uses spreadsheets everyday. He is going to look into the Web software for the company that he works for. I also started thinking about how I could incorporate some of the tools into my Business classes. Next, I moved onto Pinterest. In researching Pinterest I found that this website started in 2010. The Web site has become very popular according to TechCrunch “By January 2012, that number of users increased to 11.7 million, making it the fastest site in history to break through the 10-million unique-visitor mark, for this, it has been valued at $1.5 billion.” Pinterest may be a site that can be used to gather subject/content related information and share with the class. It may also be useful to gather examples for marketing advertisements and display for the class. Something that is clear to me is that kids are using social media for communication with their friends and the logical progression is into education and business. Our district is very conservative and reluctant to grant use to many Web 2.0 sites but students should be informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment