Sunday, August 10, 2014

EDIM513 - final reflection

Inquiry based learning includes teaching and assessing both process skills and content knowledge.  The classes that I teach Personal Finance, Entrepreneurship and Business Management include many realistic assignments that step students through the process of everyday Business functions.  I have also had to up my game and include Assessments that test a students depth of understanding in the content.  When I teach my classes and time is running short I may skip some of the "fun" real-world activities.  I also have skipped a formative assessment or Quiz when students are really into the project based assignments.  As I reflect back on what I learned in this class, I think students need both process skills and content knowledge.  

The assignment that resonates with me is the Science teacher who taught the unit on Optics.  The teacher had a nice flow with his lessons.  He had simple but effective demonstrations (Overhead projector), directed instruction on the blackboard, class discussions and group projects (draw the eye, light reflection on paper).  I also include direct instruction, class discussions and group activities.  The group activities include a credit card Charge-It trip, Google Earth Career tour and Business Plan.  These activities provide a measure of student readiness.  These activities allow students to work together as well as an opportunity for more one-on-one interaction with the teacher.  


Assessments are also critical for teaching and learning.  The assessments should be a combination of both formative and summative.  Assessments measure what a student knows and can take-away from the class.  Assessments are important for students and teachers to determine a level of understanding.  Assessments should also include clear directions and concise rubrics for students.  Assessments are also built into real life.  Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants and Teachers all need to pass certification and license tests.


I also enjoyed working with the Discovery Education techbooks.  The format was easy to work with.  The  Model lessons are interactive and include Essential Questions that help to target and provide focus for lesson objectives.  I also liked all the examples of Web 2.0 technology activities at the Discovery Education website.  Technology tools are important for today's students and tomorrow's workforce.  The Web 2.0 tools include opportunities for collaboration (Prezi, Blogs, Discussion Posts, PollEverywhere) and interactive presentations (Prezi, Blogs, Wiki's, Slideshare).  These are tools for the 21st Century learners and should be incorporated into lesson planning.







No comments:

Post a Comment